Tribute to a life well lived


Our Campbell family lost its patriarch today when David’s dad, James Lee Campbell, left this earth just two days shy of his 97th birthday. He was the family’s rock, compass and strength. Jim leaves a legacy that will live on through the three generations of his surviving family.

Jim was a kind, gentle soul who, with Margaret Anne, his wife of more than 60 years, raised four wonderful humans. A proud, yet humble, veteran of WWII and the Korean War, Jim was a die-hard Notre Dame fan, accomplished engineer, dedicated church leader, committed Rotarian, traveler, chronicler of family history, fisherman, golfer and good friend. He had lots of friends!

He was also the best father-in-law a girl could ask for. Always, he treated me as family. From day one. And that meant the world to me because family was everything to him.

My favorite memories of times spent with Jim are the evenings when just the two of us were at their house in Columbus, He was in his rocker, and I would be tucked up reading on the sofa across the room. He would ask about my job, my writing and never failed to inquire about my parents, my sister and her son, and the many Columbia friends he’d met when they came for our wedding so many years ago.

Jim always made sure to have a bottle of chardonnay ready when we visited, waited up for David and me on our many late night arrivals in Columbus and insisted on cooking us breakfast when we stayed with him. Jim always remembered birthdays with a card and a check (I just assume he slipped checks in everyone else’s cards 😊.

Jim treasured his conversations with family. He and David talked every single Friday – regardless of time zone, travel plans, work interruptions or any other disruption. Jim called it their streak – and it lasted more than 40 years. Their last call was just last Friday.

Jim got great happiness from his nine grandchildren, and most recently the six great grandchildren. It was a joy to see him light up at Christmas this year when four of these little ones were part of our wonderful Christmas Eve chaos (a word I liked to use to describe large family gatherings). Jim always laughed thinking I’d once called the Campbell family gatherings dysfunctional. Actually, the word I’d used was “chaotic,” and we always loved that little inside joke.

Jim went by several names in the family – Pop, Dad, Idaddy and Shorty. When I married into the family, I got to choose which name to call him (and David’s mom), and we simply settled on Jim and MA. It suited our relationship well. I’m sure Jim and MA are now clicking glasses in heaven watching over us all.

His was a life well lived, and I’m grateful to have had him in my life.

Jim's obituary.

 




 



Comments

Most popular posts

Flossie - A tribute to a much-loved dog

Taking a breath of gratitude

You've Got to be a Friend to Have a Friend