Oh Christmas Tree

Christmas trees can gin up pretty strong emotions and opinions in people at this time of year. First, there's the "live" vs. "artificial" tree debate. Then, there's the decision of how early a tree should go up. Is it too early to have a tree up before Thanksgiving? And how long can it stay up? Multi-colored lights vs. white lights? Garland vs. tinsel? The options are endless.

I always get into the holiday spirit early seeing my Mississippi sister-in-law and nieces' trees decorated when we visit at Thanksgiving. That said, I fall squarely in the Sunday after Thanksgiving as the first day I feel ready put up a tree. I'm also one of the first on my block to drag my tree to the curb the day after Christmas. While many people these days opt for the more-high tech, beautifully lit, artificial trees that are way easier to put up and take down, I still love the process of choosing and decorating a live tree. 

This is the first year I've bought a full-sized tree after opting for a shorter, table-top version for the past 15-plus years. This beauty stands ceiling height in a full-length window in the sunroom/office on the front of the house. Granted, it's a little lopsided and has a few bare spots, but I love the smell of the fresh tree as I work just feet from it.
Some people may look at this tree up close and think it gives off a Charlie Brown-ish vibe.  There are no shiny glass balls on the branches or a fancy star on top. But this tree is full of memories from thousands of miles traveled, dozens of cities and people visited, family history, childhood artwork, dogs, homes, cars, music and hobbies. I am grateful for surge of happiness I feel every year when I unpack the boxes of ornaments that hold a lifetime of memories.

David and I have been buying ornaments from places we've visited ever since we got married. I treasure the annual unwrapping of memories from trips to places as varied Israel and Idaho, Bangkok and Boston, Peru and Paris and lots of others. Back around the third and fourth grades, my friends gave each other hand painted or cross-stitched ornaments. I still hang several of those every year. In addition to ornaments, we have a few items from childhood also hanging on the tree - one of David's swimming ribbons hangs next to a key to my childhood home. 

My tree topper isn't a fancy bright star. Rather, it's a slightly lopsided and years-worn angel my Granny gave me as a young child. She also gave one to my sister and my first cousin - her third granddaughter. Several years ago, all three of us realized we still lovingly unpack that angel for our trees in Columbia, Mt. Pleasant and Georgia. A couple of years ago, my cousin made an ornament for each of us featuring photos of these angels in memory of our grandmother. Such a sweet memory to unwrap each year.

In recent years, I did ditch the old white lights for some new sparkly multi-colored ones. But the brightest part of this tree isn't the lights - it's the glow from the memories it sparks. When friends gather at our house over the holiday season, I always love finding someone being drawn to the sunroom to look at the tree and to be reminded of many of the memories that we share.

As the great philosopher Charlie Brown said, "It’s not what’s under the tree that matters. It’s who’s gathered around it.” And I would add to that, it's also the memories that hang from it.


Memories that include Paris with friends, White House ornament from Callie, Wimbledon tennis ball, Paddington bear from Betsy, Beaufort the dog, the 1993 inauguration

David's swimming ribbon, Granny's three angels, Paris gift from the Bradfords

Mississippi santa, key to Roslyn Drive, needlepoint from Rachel

Fourth grade Christmas gift, shoes from China

Much-loved angel

And the crowning glory



Comments

  1. That is my kind of tree Reba!! So beautifully illustrated in your story !! I love this !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beautifully captured the delight of unboxing Christmas ornaments and unfolding cherished memories. The house key is such a wonderful idea, the swimming ribbon is unique, and, of course, the angel, is much beloved.. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers. Let me know what you think! Please sign your name if you're not already signed into Blogger so I can see who's posting (otherwise it shows up as anonymous).

Most popular posts

Are you a "wordie"? Celebrate National Word Nerd Day

Flossie - A tribute to a much-loved dog

Taking a breath of gratitude