An Experiment: The Five Senses Self Portrait

One of the interesting exercises in "Life in Five Senses" is creating a "Five Senses Self-Portrait." As part of my personal accountability to pay better attention through my senses, I'm sharing my self portrait that I'm updating regularly.

Seeing

  • The stillness of the ocean, the lake, any large body of water
  • My weekly flower arrangements especially when I pop in the ceramic flowers bought on a trip to Germany


  • A bright blue sky
  • The vivid colors of sunset over water
  • Big dogs running and chasing balls on the beach
  • My yellow bike

Hearing

  • My dog’s toenails tapping through the house on the hardwood floors
  • The barred owls in my neighborhood at night
  • Neighborhood kids playing outside on a summer afternoon
  • The deep resonant strum from a single acoustic guitar
  • The natural sounds of my neighborhood as I take a walk without earbuds.
  • Early morning chirping birds outside my window
  • The laughter and music of my Sip N Strummers
  • '70s music playing in a random place

Tasting

  • Dark chocolate mousse followed by a sip of dry white wine
  • Saltiness of the perfect raw oyster
  • My first sip of perfectly balanced half/half tea in the morning
  • The tanginess of Kraft Italian dressing on a Labraskas cheese salad

Touching

  • My new bathmat that feels like puppy fur
  • Wind on my face speeding down a hill on my bike
  • Sand under my feet during a beach walk
  • High quality paper of a print project
  • The soft spot behind my dog’s ears

Smelling

  • Lavender in a yoga studio (although incense will kill that buzz immediately)
  • Gardenias (live not artificial)
  • A bookstore
  • Fresh cut grass
  • The first scent of the ocean as I head to the beach
  • The various smells that occur on a drive with the top down on my car – cut grass, manure, road construction, confederate jasmine 
  • Almond extract
  • Labraskas Pizza that reminds me of high school
  • A print project fresh from the printer’s press

 


Comments

Most popular posts

Are you a "wordie"? Celebrate National Word Nerd Day

Flossie - A tribute to a much-loved dog

Taking a breath of gratitude