Inspiration is the word of the day

Another in my periodic posts spotlighting social media posts I have found uplifting.

Inspiration springs from so many places these days. I’ve come up on a few things this week that brought bursts of inspiration to me – whether it’s inspired me to laugh harder, give more, appreciate simple beauty or be more thankful. Here are a few of my favorites:

My sister, Elizabeth Hull Foster, and I grew up loving The Sound of Music thanks to our mother, and she later instilled that same love in my nephew. So when I saw this parody of Do-Re-Mi today, I couldn’t help but watch. Take a look if you’re a lover of all things SOM (or even if you’re not). It’s perfect to share with little ones, too. (bit.ly/DoRiMeSOM)

I'm learning that music can move me in ways I’ve never felt before. I’ve been listening to the“No Intermission” series by Adam Parker, Post and Courier that features local musicians and stage performers in short “Tiny Desk Concert”-like videos. Today I listened to Columbia’s Reggie Sullivan soulfully play a piece that repeated “sing about your troubles and they might just pass” and heard a Charleston-based stage actor do a monologue from “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown.”
A post today from a fellow writer left me speechless over her health journey and grateful to hear of her ongoing recovery. Anne Creed is someone I’ve known for many years, but more as a social acquaintance. I had no idea of her scary, horrific cancer journey over the last year. Her post today tells the story of friends and faith and hope.

If you get inspiration from simple beauty in nature, Debra A. Daniel reminds us of the hope that comes from this simplicity in her frequent posts of the lovely flowers in her yard on (appropriately named) Hope Avenue.

Another spot of inspiration came from a series on WLTX News19 called the Daily Grace. Every morning until Easter the station is featuring local musicians singing their versions of “Amazing Grace.” Watch Robbie Grice's (Parker’s Back) version in today’s post.

And finally, I’m truly inspired by the creativity and generosity of so many of the restaurants I frequent. Today I especially loved seeing the experience that Drip Coffee in Five Points has created. I stopped by to get my tea one day last week and came away with a delicious scone and a quick visit. Today, their post described a variety of scones, espresso drinks and lunch items now available. They’ve also got a fund for restaurant workers and offer half off to anyone in the industry. Eat (and drink coffee) local, y’all.

(I'm attempting a somewhat daily series of trying to share posts I find insightful or uplifting to use social media for good in these crazy times. Please note you may have to scroll down on some of the links here to find the posts I mention.)

Comments

Most popular posts

Flossie - A tribute to a much-loved dog

Taking a breath of gratitude

You've Got to be a Friend to Have a Friend