Happy "Gotcha Day" to Flossie

This is us as we left PetsInc
for her new home
A year ago today, I spent a rainy afternoon at PetsInc walking refugee dogs that had been evacuated from coastal shelters during Hurricane Florence. I walked a dozen or so dogs over about an hour and a half giving them a little loving, some exercise and a place do their business. I volunteered that afternoon to give me a dog fix, but knew I wasn't ready for a new dog yet following the death of my beloved Dixie earlier in the year.

So much for best laid plans!

You can read Flossie's "gotcha story" here and get the details about how I saw her across the room as I was signing out of the shelter's office to head home. You can read about the several God-winks that brought us together. Also read here about how I came to open my heart again to bringing another dog into my life after losing Dixie.
 
The quote below is from a delightful essay from the playwright Eugene O'Neal who wrote so beautifully about losing his beloved dog, Blemie, and how getting another dog helped heal his loss.

The words are so true and surely helped my healing process.

One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Mistress say, 'When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one.'

Now I would ask her, for love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog!”


A polite southern lady

 
So, on this "Gotcha Day," I give huge thanks for my much-loved Flossie who came perfectly prepackaged for what I needed at that exact moment in my life. Surely she had lived at one point in a home that trained her to stay off the furniture, wait politely to be told to eat her food and love a belly rub. Her laid back, yet loving nature, has been the perfect addition to my life. She his wise eyes, a gentle nature, and loves a ride in the convertible, neighborhood walks and is happy to just laze around the house.

I give thanks for her every day!


Comments

Most popular posts

Are you a "wordie"? Celebrate National Word Nerd Day

Flossie - A tribute to a much-loved dog

Taking a breath of gratitude