Still missing Dixie

One year ago today, I got home from work and found our beloved Dixie had died peacefully in her sleep in her favorite sun puddle on the patio. This is the tribute post I wrote in her memory. I still miss her every day. She was much loved.

Not long after Dixie died, I came upon a book written by the playwright Eugene O'Neill in tribute to his much-loved dog, Blemie. It was written as Blemie's last will and testament. The book literally dropped off the shelf onto my foot when I was browsing at my favorite DC bookstore, Kramer Books.
This passage in the book gave me great comfort and allowed me to eventually open my heart to bringing a new dog into my life. For this I'm so grateful (and I hope Flossie is too:). I wrote this post back in August reflecting on this passage below.

"... I have heard my Mistress say, 'When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one.' 

Now I would ask her, for the love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to fell is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog!"

I know Dixie is keeping good company with my friends' dogs who joined her in the past year on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. I hope they are all celebrating her today with treats and balls.









Comments

Most popular posts

Are you a "wordie"? Celebrate National Word Nerd Day

Flossie - A tribute to a much-loved dog

Taking a breath of gratitude